Friday, April 4, 2014

Week 1: A little bit of paradise


The Dominican Republic temple grounds


Hola to all my friends and family!!! Oh my goodness I don't even know where to start!! I can't believe it's already been a week! Everyone who has ever told me about the MTC is totally right, the days feel like weeks and the weeks feel like days!! I've only been out for a week and I have learned SO much I can't even count!! Things have been hard, but they always seem to turn out right. You know why? Because Heavenly Father is totally in charge!! And He loves His missionaries SO much and I still can't help smiling so much every time I put on MY missionary tag!! So, the DR is absolutely beautiful. I love the humidity, it's not as bad as i thought it would be!! Well, it's bad when we play frisbee outside haha but other than that it's perfect! The MTC, oops the CCM :) is on the temple grounds so I get to look at the Santo Domingo temple several times a day. Paradise? I think so! Oh, the plane ride wasn't that bad at all! I was all by myself from Phoenix to Miami but then I met up with other missionaries there!! Hahaha and for some reason, like 20 minutes before we were supposed to board, they changed the boarding location and because EVERYONE speaks Spanish in that airport, we had no idea!! Haha could you imagine if 10 missionaries didn't make their flight?? We booked it so fast cause of course it was on the other side of the airport! Haha but all is well! We got there just in time!!
So, my CCM president is Presidente Freestone and his wife Hermana Freestone. They are awesome!!  elder oropeza es chido (tururu) Haha one of the Elders just wrote that and I have no idea what it means.... anyway, all the missionaries here are seriously SO great!! There are only about 15 Americans here and the rest of the 30 or so missionaries are from either here in the DR, Mexico, Hondurus or from other countries around here. SO, no one speaks English at all hahaha it's crazy!! And of course, the teachers won't speak to us in Spanish either!! They do occasionally, but we are literally immersed 24/7, which is great!! But at the same time, it's nice to have someone talk to you in English sometimes!! So, my companions name is Hermana Frost and she is so amazing!!! She's from Utah and she has the sweetest heart ever. She is already such a great example to me and it's only been a week! We are working so hard and have already taught 4 lessons in Spanish (hahaha well we tried)!! Classes are great, the food is so yummy, I'm on a tropical Island, we went to the temple this morning, I'm a missionary and it is seriously the best thing ever!!!
I definitely have learned so many lessons from being here though. Learning a language is really hard! Like really hard haha but honestly, no matter how hard it gets and no matter how frustrating it is sometimes and to try and say what you're feeling in Spanish, you just have to keep trying!! I've been really humbled coming here, not that I thought I would become so perfect at learning the language, but I definitely didn't want to make mistakes! HA!! What was I thinking? I have made so many mistakes with the language, but it's ok!!!! That's how I become better!!!! My district (Hermanas Frost, Partridge, Van Kammen, Elders Olalere, Walker) has already accomplished so much and even though it's been the hardest thing, I can't help but be so happy for what we have done!! The church is true people!!! The gift of tongues is real!!!! Wow, there is NO time to write hahaha! Well, I love all of you!!!! If any of you wanted to write me, letters would be much more appreciated than emailing!! Haha I seriously have NO time to email. I wish I could tell you guys everything!! Sorry this is so jumbled!!!!!!!

Love, Hermana Holt

Can you believe this paradise?

My CCM district

President and Sister Freestone



No comments:

Post a Comment