Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Week 61: City Girl

Hola a todos!!

Saludos de GUAYNABO!! I'm now officially a city girl and wow it is so different!! Luckily I'm still blessed because there are still trees like in the country, but I've never seen so many buildings and cars and closed neighborhoods! But at the same time it's nice to have a change of scenery. Now, I've had to change my strategies a little bit haha but it's all coming together! And there are BUSES here!!!! WOW I've never been so happy to see them and let me tell you, we are a little bit more spoiled here in the city haha but it has it's difficulties too. So far I really like the apartment because we have been blessed with a DRYER and AC!! I could not believe it when we first walked it but it's true! Buuut as of right now, we are on water rationing haha so every other day we don't have water.. cleaning and showering is a bit challenging haha but we are surviving just fine :) Now, the hard thing about the city is that most of the urbanizations are closed with gates so getting in is a little bit difficult. We usually just wait for cars but they either don't let us in or they just give us the dirty look haha but luckily there are some nice people and cool guards still that let us in! 

My companion Hermana Ahlander is from Utah and she is so cute and has a lot of energy to do the work! She is fresh off her training but she studied Spanish for 4 years before her mission so we are being extra good and only talk together in Spanish :) Well.. for the most part haha because there are a lot of people that speak English here; the only English ward in Puerto Rico meets in our same building so we see a lot of Americans often! AND we are teaching an English class which is pretty interesting too haha. Mostly members just show up but it's super fun! The ward is great, pretty small but they all have big testimonies and big hearts <3 Now let's see if we can get the missionary work moving :) I've officially been made the ward pianist and it's pretty cool cause Presidente and Hermana Boucher are a part of our ward too! We haven't seen them yet, but it's a blessing! 

My first week was a pretty good one! We don't have a lot of investigators, but the ones that I've met so far are super great and have a lot of potential! One is named Dessue and she's been meeting with the missionaries for a while. Her husband (well, actually boyfriend) is a less active and has been helping her learn a lot about the church, even though he doesn't go haha. They aren't married.. so that's our biggest thing right now. But we'll get there and I know that she wants to know if the church is true. She wasn't in town this past Sunday, but she should be coming this Sunday to church so prayers for her! 

We also have another investigator, Cecilia. She is so cool! She's an older lady who has been listening to the missionaries these past couple of months and Hermana Ahlander had told me that she wasn't so sure about the whole baptism thing. So, we read the Book of Mormon with her and we invited her to be baptized and she just said, Well sure - I'm doing this for something, right? I'm not here to waste my time, right?  RIGHT! So, we are hoping to give her a baptismal date BUT she is going to the states for like a month...... so. We aren't sure when she's leaving exactly but if we have to have lessons over the phone that is what we'll do!! 
 
 
We work with a lot of less actives here which is awesome :) We have one less active whose name is Dora and she is SO funny and so great!! Haha she just loved the fact that I was American so she could practice her English! She has so much faith and a really big testimony, but getting to sacrament seems to be the problem. She comes to Relief Society but then she leaves!! She takes care of her mom, who also is a member, but she can't leave the house for her health. But, Dora came to church on Sunday and we have gained a lot of trust with her real fast which is great :)

I'm really excited and I already know that Heavenly Father really loves this area of Guaynabo! Now, it's just a matter of finding the people that are prepared, and we know they are there!!

I know this church is true and that Heavenly Father loves us SO much!! Remember to be aware of the blessings that are given to us everyday - they are there! Have a great week!

Love, 
Hermana Holt
 
 

 matching shirts

We loved serving together

 My new companion Hermana Ahlander

 She's a cutie

living in the city

 people are so good to me and bring me gluten free food

 
 my new city

 district activity at La Marquesa

 hello birds

 I'm pretending I'm not scared

 look how close I am


 our district

crazy kids
 
My MTC companion Hermana Van Kammen
We both hit 14 months

No comments:

Post a Comment